More young athletes are receiving support from Wigan Council’s Believe Talent Fund to help them achieve their dreams.
Six sport stars will receive up to £500 from the Deal for Communities Investment Fund to help them pay for travel, accommodation, competitions or training fees and equipment.
The recipients are:
- Wigan Harriers athlete Jade Louise Williams, aged 23, who will be attending a four-week altitude training camp in South Africa.
- Charlotte Newsham, aged 15, who plays football at Blackburn Rovers Centre of Excellence and is an endurance runner with Wigan Harriers. Charlotte will be flying to Dallas in March for an international football tournament.
- Synchronised swimming star Greta Hampson, aged 15, who is attending an England training camp in February.
- Meg Boydell, aged 15, who plays football at Liverpool Ladies Centre of Excellence. The funding will contribute towards new equipment including boots, trainers and a tracksuit.
- 12-year-old Nathaniel Fidler of Manchester Fencing Centre, who will be competing with England U13s in Poland in March.
- Haydn Griffiths, aged 17, who is a dinghy sailor at Leigh and Lowton Sailing Club. The funding will contribute towards a new sail and ropes.
Charlotte said: “I’m really pleased to receive an award from the Believe Talent Fund. It will help with travel costs to Dallas where I will take part in a football tournament that attracts the best teams from all around the world including the US, Canada and Sweden as well as the UK. This is a fantastic opportunity to compete at a top level and will enable me to experience the standards of play in the US, where after college I hope to study by securing a combined football and athletic scholarship.”
Cllr Chris Ready, Wigan Council’s Cabinet member for communities, said: “It is fantastic that we are able to support these young sporting stars through the Believe Talent Fund. We want to encourage people to be active and healthy as part of The Deal and these athletes are great ambassadors for sport in Wigan Borough.”
The Believe Talent Fund is open to young people aged 11-24. It is administered by leisure partner Inspiring healthy lifestyles on behalf of Wigan Council. To find out more visit www.wigansport.org/believe-sport-talent-fund